Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Hobbies That Saved Me: Travelling

My first title went like this: My Depressionistic Hobby

I don't even know what my title meant. Haha! It was supposed to mean like the hobby that grew out of my depression. No, actually, it was the thing that helped me get through my depression. So there, I changed it. I intend to post a series of these just to tell the things that saved me during the darkest times of my life.

Well anyway, last year was the roughest time of my life. For everyone's knowledge my heart was pretty much damaged all throughout the year. And I didn't know how I actually went through it. I mean, it's still not perfect now, but I'm still alive.

From Top to Bottom: At Mt. Banahaw, Banaue Rice Terraces (Batad, Ifugao),
At Altamira Beach Resort (Batangas)


Thanks to everything that helped me - my friends, books, movies (no, not romantic ones but more of action-thriller), and of course my classes which helped keep me busy instead of letting me feel lost and broken.


Some of the things that I can proudly share are my trips - be it because of personal or academic purposes. I went to many places last year - from Batad and Lagawe (Ifugao) to Baguio to Laiya and San Juan (Batangas) to Mt. Banahaw (Quezon), to Marogondon, Kawit, and DasmariƱas (Cavite) and Tagaytay.


I really enjoyed travelling to places. It of course cost me a lot of money, but all was worth it. I've been to places I've never been before. I met and had fun with new people. I've had many pictures as I can to cherish those beautiful moments. It was really a great escape.


At the end of a small cave tunnel in Mt. Banahaw
I have learned trekking and camping. I learned to pack travel-light bags, and to sleep anywhere. Well, we slept in tents, and on the floor in small rooms and sometimes on the sand just beside the beach. I got the chance to be with new friends, I had the chance to have moments with my new crush *evil laugh*. I also explored caves with bats in them, crawling through small holes, climbing a mountain with only my Banana Peel slippers, and I get to be in one of the seven wonders of the (ancient) world - the Banaue Rice Terraces.




Although I don't know how to swim, I have enjoyed my beach adventures too. Most of the time I enjoyed taking pictures near them. There are coarse-sand beaches and there are fine-sand beaches too! I enjoyed the sea breeze, the smooth stones, and the big waves. Building sand castles was fun too! The midday sun was too hot to handle for my delicate skin, so I never went swimming at the peak of the day. I just wore my jacket, took pictures of my friends who were so amazed with the beach's  waters and of course ate the rest of the day. 

First two pictures are both in Altamira Resort, the last on the right is in Pangasinan

These trips distracted me from mulling over my broken heart. It's one good idea to go to places you've never been before when you've messed up in your life big time. It helps you catch up with yourself instead of losing to your battle inside. Even though bad memories keep lingering in your mind, you can now replace them with new beautiful ones, ones that don't need all those past strings attached to you just to make you smile.

It cost me money, blood and sweat, and energy to go through all these but everything was worth it. The adventures were irreplaceable. I'd give anything to go to more places I've never been to like the Underground River in Palawan, the Maria Cristina Falls in Pangasinan, the Sand Beaches and the Wind Mills in Vigan, the White Sand Boracay Beaches, the Chocolate Hills of Bohol, Mayon Volcano in Albay, and the Surfing Capital of the Philippines in Camarines Sur. I've always wanted to go to other countries to visit their tourist spots, but for now, I think its best to explore my own country first. It's less expensive but the same enjoyment. It's more fun in the Philippines! :) 
.




No comments:

Post a Comment